Historic Graveyard Tours
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT! SEE YOU IN 2020!
Join Us Fridays and Saturdays in October
As seen on Ken Burns’ “The Roosevelts”!
HISTORICAL CHARACTERS FOR 2019
• James "Rosy" Roosevelt (1854-1927): Older half-brother of Franklin. Diplomat, philanthropist, and member of New York society's "sporting set".
• Richard Jenkins (ca.1783-1857): Slave of Dr. Samuel Bard and first sexton of St. James' Church.
• Geraldine Morgan Thompson (1872-1967): Feminist social worker and friend of Eleanor Roosevelt. Called "The First Lady of New Jersey".
• Benjamin B. Dobbs (1824-1927): Fought in the Mexican War and with the First Cavalry Dragoons on the Northwest frontier. Became a sexton of St. James' Church.
• Susan Bard (Johnston) (1772-1845): Daughter of Dr. Samuel Bard who as a teenager reportedly played and sang for President George Washington.
• Benjamin Allen (1772-1836): Valedictorian of Rhode Island College (Brown U.) Class of 1797. Taught mathematics and established a school in Hyde Park.
COME HEAR ALL OF THEIR STORIES!
Free Parking. Tailgaters welcome!
The tour is an hour long, rain or shine. In the event of severe weather, a cancellation notice will be posted on the website with a make-up date.
Suitable for ages 5 and over. We offer family-friendly living history tours, with tour guides and actors dressed in period costume. These are not haunted tours and are not meant to be scary.
Please wear clothing and shoes appropriate to the weather and the terrain. October evenings can get cold, and the ground is uneven.
NO PETS. Service animals only.
No Flash Photography. Flashlights are welcome.
By Reservation Only.
Tickets are $20 Adults; $10 Children 12 and under. Price includes all fees. All major credit cards accepted for online orders.
If you are unable to purchase your tickets using our online system, please call the parish office at 845-229-2820. A limited number of phone-in orders can be accommodated per tour, payable in advance by check or cash only.
Questions about tours or ticket orders can only be handled during office hours: Tuesday - Friday from 8:30 am - 2:30 pm.
All orders are final. We regret we are unable to hold spaces without payment.
All proceeds benefit the on-going ministry and outreach of St. James’ Episcopal Church.
LIMITED MOBILITY INFO
This is a walking tour with limited lighting conducted off-path through our 200-yr. old churchyard. Unfortunately, it is not appropriate for wheelchairs, strollers, or walkers.
FOR MOBILITY CHALLENGED INDIVIDUALS: A GOLF CART WILL BE AVAILABLE AT NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR THE 7:00 AND 8:00 TOURS. RESERVE THRU THE OFFICE ONLY at 845-229-2820. One adult needs to accompany a child using this service.
4526 Albany Post Road, Hyde Park, NY 12538 (across from the Vanderbilt National Historic Site)