Mission Statement of St. James' Church
“To Know Christ and Make Him Known”
The mission of the people of St. James’ Episcopal Church is “To Know Christ and to Make Him Known” in the world. We believe we are called to express our faith in God, the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, and live out the vows we made at baptism to “proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ,” and to “seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbors as ourselves.”
We believe that God’s Holy Spirit will empower us to express this mission in the following particular ways.
1. Worship/Spiritual Nurture: By worshiping God regularly, sharing the Body and Blood of Christ in communion with God and each other and participating in other activities for spiritual nurture such as prayer groups and retreats.
2. Outreach: By serving the poor, hungry and needy of this community and the world, in person where possible, with money where necessary and by explicitly inviting our community into our church to share the Good News of Christ.
3. Youth: By welcoming young people into this church to teach them the Good News of Jesus Christ and to share that love with them as active members of our Community of Faith.
4. Christian Education: By learning about our faith through such means as Bible Study, Adult Education, Children’s Church School, and Music.
5. Pastoral Care: By caring for those who are members of this particular Christian Community-visiting the sick, listening to and supporting those in trouble or grief, calling on the missing and sharing times of joy.
6. Hospitality/Fellowship: By welcoming all people and getting to know one another better through gatherings such as parish meals, coffee hours, receptions, parties and work parties.